I wonder what you think when you see this album cover. Perhaps you chuckled a little? I mean it really is kind of funny right?
This mix might elicit a similar reaction as a handful of indie musicians from the US and Europe channel Sly and the Family Stone and the Blaxploitation movement. It’s hard to say exactly where these artists are coming from. Maybe it’s nostalgia, maybe it’s irony, maybe it’s a product of the buzzing indie movement in its desire to manifest any possible genre in itself. But just as The Crusaders above appear both serious and fun-loving with their contrasting facial expressions, each song on this mix seems to marry naïve candor with considered playfulness.
I’d love to be able to say something about The Crusaders, but I can’t. This is simply an album from my dad’s collection that I grew up staring at.
- Eastover Wives / Dent May from That Feeling/Eastover Wives 7″ [Forest Family, 2010]
- Leave House / Caribou from Swim [Merge, 2010]
- Tour Along The Potomac / Dirty Projectors from The Getty Address [Western Vinyl, 2005]
- Jealous Of Roses / Bibio from Ambivalence Avenue [Warp, 2009]
- Made In The Dark / Hot Chip from Made In The Dark [EMI, 2008]
- They Are Night Zombies!! They Are Neighbors!! They Have Come Back From The Dead!! Ahhhh! / Sufjan Stevens from Illinois [Asthmatic Kitty, 2005]
- Feel It All Around / Washed Out from Life Of Leisure EP [Mexican Summer, 2009]
- Just Ain’t Gonna Work Out / Mayer Hawthorne from A Strange Arrangement [Stones Throw, 2009]
- If I Could Cry (It Would Feel Like This) / Jens Lekman from Night Falls Over Kortedala [Secretly Canadian, 2007]
- Your Cover’s Blown / Belle & Sebastian from Books EP [Rough Trade, 2004]