The other day a man came to check up on our HVAC system. I was working on this mix at the time, but that really has nothing to do with this story. My parents were at work and I stayed home for the afternoon to let the HVAC man in. I showed him around as to where the filters were and the crawl space and went in to my room to work. After a short while he was finished and knocked on my door, “All done, here’s a receipt.”
When I finished the mix I went downstairs to find that the man had left a trail of dirt through our living room carpet. At once, a quick jolt of frustration shot through me and I muttered a short wind of profanity as I reached for the vacuum. I did get most of the dirt up, except for a little smudge by the air vent. “I would have been a little more careful,” I thought to myself.
Later when I told mom she shrugged. “Oh well,” she said. And that was that.
I’ve been struggling with the idea of being careful. I see myself as a careful person and usually value that quality, but lately I’m not so sure. My friend Sarah asked me if I’d had a New Year’s resolution. I hadn’t thought about it but said, “I dunno, make more mistakes?” Still, later when she asked how it was going the only thing I could think of was that I’d messed up a Sudoku.
With Little Brother I’ve become particularly careful. In the beginning I tried to share music as I actively lived through it. But as time has gone by, the careful in me has seeped into my work, challenging every move I make. When I realized that I didn’t want to share any of the music on this mix for the sake of future posts, I knew something was wrong. Now I don’t know anymore and perhaps it is a mistake, but I suppose with my resolution and all that wouldn’t be so bad either.
- Bombay / El Guincho from Pop Negro [Young Turks, 2010]
- Found Out / Caribou from Swim [Merge, 2010]
- S.A.W. / Tanlines from SALEM/Tanlines Split 7″ [FADER, 2010]
- Date of Birth / How to Dress Well from Love Remains [Lefse, 2010]
- “A Cattleman among Cattlemen”
- Unthinkable (Physical Therapy Remix) / Alicia Keys [unreleased, 2010]
- Impression of a City Morning / Brown Recluse from Morning Tapestry [Slumberland, 2011]
- “What kind of favor could you owe a Sheepman?”
- Shumba / Thomas Mapfumo & The Blacks Unlimited from Gwindingwi Rine Shumba [Water, 1980]
- Killin’ the Vibe (feat. Panda Bear) / Ducktails from Killin’ the Vibe EP [self-released, 2011]
- Real Love (Tropical Acid Version by ARP) / Delorean from Real Love [Single] [True Panther, 2010]
- “Then the whole range explodes…”
- Ocean City / Kurt Vile from Square Shells EP [Matador, 2010]